Historical Dog Names: All the U.S. Presidents' Dogs
These historical dog names belonged to the beloved pets of the United States' Presidents. As Harry Truman said, " If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."
- George Washington: Mopsey, Taster, Cloe, Tipler, Forester, Captain, Lady Rover, Vulcan, Sweetlips, and Searcher, all Foxhounds
- Thomas Jefferson: Briards and Foxhounds
- James Monroe: unnamed spaniel
- John Tyler: Le Beau, a Greyhound
- Abraham Lincoln: Jip and Fido, unknown breeds
- Ulysses S. Grant: Faithful, a Newfoundland
- Rutherford B. Hayes: Grim, a Greyhound; Duke, an English Mastiff; Hector, a Newfoundland; Dot, a Terrier
- Grover Cleveland: Unnamed Japanese Poodle
- Benjamin Harrison: Dash and various dogs of unknown breeds
- Theodore Roosevelt: Pete, a Bull Terrier; Sailor Boy, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever; Skip, a mixed breed; Manchu, a Pekingese; Jack and Peter, both Terriers
- Woodrow Wilson: Davie, an Airedale
- Warden Harding: Laddie Boy, an Airedale; Old Boy, a Bulldog
- Calvin Coolidge: Peter Pan, a terrier; Paul Pry, an Airedale; Rob Roy, a white Collie; Prudence Prim, a white Collie; Clamity Jane, a Shetland Sheepdog; Tiny Tim and Blackberry, both Chow Chows; Ruby Rough, a Collie; Boston Beans, a Bulldog; King Kole, a German Shepard Dog; Bessie, a Collie; and Palo Alto, a setter
- Herbert Hoover: King Tut, a German Shepard Dog; Big Ben and Sonnie, both Fox Terriers; Glen, a Scottish Collie; Yukonan, an Eskimo Dog; Patrick, a wolfhound; Eaglehurst Gillete, a setter; Weejie, a Norwegian Elkhound; and Pat, a German Shepard Dog
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Fala, a Scottish Terrier; Majora, a German Shepard Dog; Meggie, a Scottish Terrier; Winks, a Llewellyn Setter; Tiny, an English Sheepdog; President, a Great Dane; and Blaze, a Mastiff
- Harry S. Truman: Feller, a Cocker Spaniel; and Mike, a Irish Setter
- Dwight D. Eisenhower: Heidi, a Weimaraner
- John F. Kennedy: Charlie, a Welsh Terrier; Shannan, an Irish Cocker Spaniel; plus their puppies: Blackie, Butterfly, Streaker, and White Tips. Also, Pushinka, a gift from the Premier of Russia, who was the daughter of Laika, the first dog in space.
- Lyndon B. Johnson: Him and Her, both Beagles; Freckles, their puppy; Blanco, a white Collie; Yuki, a mixed breed; J. Edgar, a mixed breed
- Richard Nixon: Vicky, a Poodle; Pasha, a Yorkshire Terrier; and King Timahoe, an Irish Setter
- Gerald Ford: Liberty, a Golden Retriever
- Jimmy Carter: Grits, a mixed breed
- Ronald Reagan: Lucky, a Bouvier des Flandres; Rex, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- George Bush: Millie, a Springer Spaniel; Ranger and Spot, two of Millie's puppies
- Bill Clinton: Buddy, a chocolate Labrador
- George W. Bush: Spot, Millie's daughter, an English Springer Spaniel; Barney, a Scottish Terrier; and Mrs. Beasley, a Scottish Terrier
Return from Historical Dog Names to Dog Names.
Return from Historical Dog Names to Home Page.